Council Early Learning and Childcare Funding

Is your child turning 3 soon? From the term after their third birthday your child will be entitled to a funded nursery place.



Your child does not need to go to council nursery in order to get into their catchment school, and parents/carers can choose between ELCC settings whether this be private or council nurseries, according to the childcare hours they need to suit working patterns or preferences. Council nurseries are not able to meet the demand for 30 hour places due to many of them essentially halving their capacity due to these extra hours. Your child can receive the same high standard of Early Learning and Childcare in a private nursery setting, and robust transition arrangements are in place to ensure a smooth transition to P1. We have children attending Newbyres Nursery who go on to each of the schools in Gorebridge, so your child will be starting school with many familiar faces.

As a partner provider setting with Midlothian Council, we offer funded places for Good Time To Be 2 eligible children and all 3-5 year olds.

All GTTB2 and 3-5 year olds are now entitled to up to 30 hours per week of funded Early Learning and Childcare. With this change you will see all nurseries, both council and private, become “Provider Neutral”, meaning the care and service will be the same high quality across the board.

For more information on the 2020 expansion please visit

If you would like any more information about council funding, please give us a call on 01875 898060.


We can help. Please contact us.

Tax Free Childcare for Working Parents

You can get up to £500 every 3 months (£2,000 a year) for each of your children to help with the costs of childcare.



If you get Tax-Free Childcare, the government will pay £2 for every £8 you pay your childcare provider. This is paid via an online childcare account that you set up for your child. You can get Tax-Free Childcare at the same time as the council funded/free childcare hours if you’re eligible for both.

For more information go to:

You may also be entitled to help with childcare costs through Tax Credits or Universal Credit. To check your eligibility visit